"The area of the parish is an irregular three-sided figure. The eastern side runs from Stonehaven, southward along the coast, to and inclusive of the fishing village of Crawton, a distance of about five miles. From Crawton, the boundary runs about five miles north-westward, in a zig-zag line, abutting first on the parish of Kinneff, and then on the parish of Glenbervie, passing with the latter over Carmount moor, to the summit of Carmount hill, and thence descending into Carron Water, at the base of that hill, where Dunnottar and Glenbervie are met by the parish of Fetteresso. On the northern side, the Carron, winding a course of about five miles, from where it leaves the territory of Glenbervie, till it enters the sea at Stonehaven, forms, with some small exceptions, the boundary with Fetteresso. According to a map of Kincardineshire, by Mr Francis Garden, in 1744, the parish contains 8156 "English acres," or nearly 13 square miles."
The New Statistical Account of Scotland, Vol XI Forfar-Kincardine