We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Llansadwrn

"LLANSADWRN (LLAN-SADWRN), a parish, in the union of LLANDOVERY, lower division of the hundred of PERVETH, county of CARMARTHEN, SOUTH WALES, 3 miles (N.N.W.) from Llangadock; comprising the Upper and Lower divisions, and containing 1192 inhabitants. This parish, which is pleasantly situated in the north-eastern part of the county, is intersected by the turn-pike road from Llandilo-Vawr, by the suspension bridge to Llandovery, and by a small rivulet tributary to the river Towy. It comprises 7064 acres, consisting of a mountainous district of considerable extent, and a large portion of common, which was inclosed . . . in 1809, and with the other lands, is in a good state of cultivation . . . The church is dedicated to St. Sadwrn . . . There are seven places of worship for Baptists, Independents, and Calvinistic and Wesleyan methodists. . . The schools consists of, in the Upper division, a day school of 20 children . . . and two Sunday schools, respectively appertaining to the Calvinistic Methodists and Independents, and conducted gratuitously, in which 160 males and females are taught in the Welsh language. In the Lower division are two day and two Sunday schools, three of which are in connexion with the Independents, and one with Baptists . . ." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]

Church History

LLANSADWRN, St. Sadwrn  1883-1884    - on the Church plans online site

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by   I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP,   Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

  • Llansadwrn Parish Church                         John Jones, Vicar
  • Chapel, Llansadwrn Mountain      Not consecrated or licensed           "There are no pews in this chapel, only free benches in the middle of it, and round about the walls"        John Jones, Vicar of Llansadwrn
  • Ebenezer   Ind                   Erected in 1830             Morgan Williams, Deacon
  • Carmel   Ind           Erected in 1828      David Jones, Diacon, Eskem, Nr Llangadock
  • Libanus           Calvinistic Baptist              Erected in 1788           David Price, Deacon, Blaenywain
  • Capel Sion          CM                Erected in 1797 or 1798, rebuilt in 1846             John Davies, Steward, Myrtle Hill, Llansadwrn village

 

Griffiths, G. Milwyn. A Visitation of the Archdeaconry of Carmarthen, 1710   National Library of Wales journal. 1974, Summer Vol XVIII/3. Includes the parish of Llan Sadwrn

Parish entry  for Llansadwrn with Llanwrda from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by (Archive CD Books)).

  • St Sadwrn
  • &
  • St Cwrda (Llanwrda)
  • &
  • Capel Dewi Sant
  • Incumbent and Curates; L Morris (D R Lewis)
  • Rural Deanery of  Llangadock
  • Acreage  7,521 & 4,488; Population 1,086

Church Records

Dyfed FHS have photographs and data relating to various churches and chapels on their site

Parish registers: Christenings (1739-1847), Marriages (1739-55, 1783-1971), Banns (1823-74) and Burials (1739-1960) are at the National Library of Wales with Mf copies [except Banns] at Carm.RO

Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1673, 1678-9, 1681-4, 1686-7, 1690-1, 1693, 1695-9, 1702-4, 1707, 1709, ?1711, 1713-18, 1720-2, 1724-38, 1740-7, 1749-529, 1755-60, 1762-1800, 1802-57) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS.

Marriage index for this parish - see Dyfed Marriages, 1813-1837, Vol. 21 - Perfedd Hundred (Dyfed Family History Society, c1989)

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg

Nonconformist Chapels:

  • Libanus (Baptist, 1788), Waunclynda            SN6819831923     Built 1788/9, rebuilt 1841      Not still open 1998           Coflein                    On Dyfed FHS  
  •  
  • Sion (Calvinistic Methodist, c1740?), Llansadwrn village                 Records with those of Salem (Llandeilo Fawr) and Goshen (Llangadock)           On Dyfed FHS  
  •  
  • Carmel (Independent, 1827), Cors Farlais, near Blaenycwm              On Dyfed FHS               Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)
    Rees, Thomas & John Thomas.   Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches) 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for this chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Gareth Hicks (Dec 2008)
  • Ebenezer (Independent, c1811), Llansadwrn village              Records with those of Crugybar (Conwil Caio) and Jerusalem (Llangadock) during 1830-35, Tabernacle (Llandeilo Fawr) during 1835-46, and Bethelem (Llangadock) during 1850-70.              On Dyfed FHS  
    Rees, Thomas & John Thomas.   Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches) 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for this chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Gareth Hicks (Dec 2008)

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Llansadwrn which are provided by:

The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., byJones, I.G. & Williams, D.   UWP,   Cardiff, 1976.  These statistics for this parish are extracted from this book which in turn got them from the 1851 census itself;

  • Area 7064 acres; Population 539 males, 588 females, total 1127

Places, villages, farms etc within Llansadwrn parishas shown on the online parish map from the CD of   Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Gareth Hicks)

  • Llansadwrn (13);  Aber-daunant; Aber-Marlais Park; Afon Marlais; Banc-y-lan; Blaen Marlais; Brownhill Fm.; Bryn; Bryngwyn;  Careg Fawr; Carmel Chapel; Cefn-y-parc; Cors Farlais; Craig Beynon; Cwm-dwr; Cwm-eilath; Cwm-llynfe;  Felindre; Fron; Glan-Dulais; Llansadwrn (village); Maes-y-rhiw; Mynydd Llansadwrn; Pant-y-pistyll; Parc glas; Plas-newydd; Ty-coch; Waen-clyn-da; Ysgubor Yoroth

Genealogy

Carmarthenshire Families

 

Rawlins, José. Excise Duty and Edward Richards. Dyfed FHS Journal 6 (Aug 1997) p.16. [Originally of Defynnog, Breconshire, later Llansadwrn]

Rawlins, José, The "Bryndyfan" Tombstone in Llansadwrn Parish Churchyard. Dyfed FHS journal Vol 5, no 4, Aug 1995,  p 162-166. Featured family is that of Thomas Morgan Jones, Bryndyfan [1803-1889].

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Llansadwrn has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

History

Lloyd, Sir John E., (Ed.). A History of Carmarthenshire (2 vols.), Cardiff, London Carmarthenshire Society (1935, 1939). Extracts from this book can be accessed on some parish pages, see here for this parish

Land and Property

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Land Tax assessments, Myddfai and Llansadwrn parishes  1914-1917  
  • Llansadwrn documents   1853-1863        "Wellington, solicitors, of Gloucester, accumulated documents relating to Llansadwrn, Carmarthenshire"

Documents at the National Library of Wales:

  • Records from the office of D.T.M. Jones, Llandovery, solicitor. Include office correspondence from 1775 and records relating to the estates of Abermarlais, Briwnant, Cynghordy, Glansevin, Glanyrannell, Llwyncelyn and Ton, Carmarthenshire.

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN695314 (Lat/Lon: 51.965677, -3.900970), Llansadwrn which are provided by:

Public Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Llansadwrn Parish Council Records  1882-1974

 

[Gareth Hicks : 17 Dec 2012]