An extra-parochial place was an area considered to be outside any parish. They were therefore exempt from payment of any poor or church rate and usually tithe. Extra-parochial areas were gradually either integrated with a neighbouring or surrounding parish, or made separate civil parishes by the Extra-Parochial Places Act 1857 and the Poor Law Amendment Act 1868.
"BAGLEY WOOD, an extra-parochial liberty in the hundred of Hormer, in the county of Berks, 3 miles S. from Oxford. This wood was formerly of great extent, and includes the site of the original abbey of Abingdon."
"CHANDLINGS, an extra-parochial place in the hundred of Hormer, in the county of Berks, near Abingdon.
"SANDLEFORD PRIORY, an extra parochial place in the hundred of Faircross, county Berks, 2 miles S. of Newbury. It is situated on the river Emborne, and was once the site of a priory founded by Geoffrey Earl of Perche, in 1200."
"SEACOURT, an extra parochial place in the hundred of Hormer, county Berks, 3 miles N.W. of Oxford."
"WALLINGFORD CASTLE PRECINCTS, an extra parochial place in the borough of Wallingford, county Berks."