[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
"BABRAHAM, a parish in the hundred of Chilford, in the county of Cambridge, 4 miles to the north-west of Linton. Cambridge is its post town. It is situated a little to the south of the Gogmagog hills, the loftiest in Cambridgeshire, and stands on the site and within the limits of a very extensive ancient entrenchment, formed on the line of the Roman road called Via Devana. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely, of the value of £106, in the patronage of H. J. Adeane, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. The parochial charities, which consist of endowments for a free school, and for the relief of the poor, are of the annual value of £134. Babraham Hall, the seat of H. J. Adeane, Esq., was built in 1576, and became the property and residence of Sir H. Palavicini, who was the papal tax-gatherer in the reign of Queen Mary, and served in the reign of Queen Elizabeth against the Spanish Armada."
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]