[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
"BASSINGBOURN, (or Bassingbourne) a parish in the hundred of Armingford, in the county of Cambridge, 3 miles to the north-west of Royston railway-station, and 48 miles from London. It is situated on the ancient Ermine Street, near its inter section by lknield Street, and includes the hamlet of Kneesworth. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, of the value of £224, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. The church is dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul. It has a monumental brass of the year 1560. The register dates from 1558. There is a chapel belonging to the Independents. The Royston Union workhouse is situated in this parish, with accommodation for 125 inmates. The parochial charities, including an endowment for education, amount to £21. A parochial library was founded by Edward Nightengale in 1717, to which a room next the north aisle of the church is appropriated. An annual fair was formerly held here on the festival of SS. Peter and Paul, for eight days. There was also a market, originally granted by Henry III. to Peter de Savvy, and confirmed by Edward III. to John of Gaunt; but it has long been disused. The Rev. D. H. Hatton is lord of the manor, and holds a considerable portion of the soil, which is a mixture of clay and chalk, producing good crops of wheat, barley, beans, &c.
"KNEESWORTH, a hamlet in the parish of Bassingbourn, hundred of Armingford, county Cambridge, 1 mile east of Bassingbourn, and 3 miles north-east of Royston. It is situated on the great north road. Kneesworth Hall is the principal residence."
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]