[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
"CASTLE CAMPS, a parish in the hundred of Chilford, in the county of Cambridge, 5 miles to the south-east of Linton, and 16 from Cambridge, its post town. It is situated on the confines of Suffolk and Essex, and was the site of a magnificent castle, founded by Aubrey de Vere, to whom the lordship was granted by William the Conqueror. The castle continued to be the seat of the De Veres, earls of Oxford, till near the end of the 16th century, when it was purchased by Thomas Sutton, founder of the Charterhouse, London, and was given by him as an endowment to that foundation. The moat still exists, and some small portions of the building, which are attached to a farmhouse. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £570, in the patronage of the Governors of the Charterhouse, London. The church, a Gothic building with a square tower, is dedicated to All Saints, and contains monuments of the Dayrells and of Chief Baron Reynolds. The Independents have a chapel here, and there is a charity school principally supported by the incumbent. The parochial charities are of trifling value. The parish, which includes a tract of common land, is supposed to have derived its name from a large Danish encampment which anciently existed in this neighbourhood."
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]