[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
"COTON, a parish in the hundred of Wetherley, in the county of Cambridge, 2 miles west of Cambridge, and 3½ from the Cambridge station on the Great Eastern railway. It is a small agricultural village. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £213 in the patronage of Catherine Hall, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, stands in the centre of the village. It is in the early English style of architecture, the chancel being Norman. The church consists of nave, aisles, tower with spires and two porches. It contains the tomb of Downes, who translated the Apocrypha. The charities amount to £37 per annum. Here has recently been built a National school for boys and girls. The provost and Fellows of King's College are lords of a manor in this parish, but the Master and Fellows of St. Catherine's College are lords paramount."
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]