[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
"GRANTCHESTER, a parish in the hundred of Wetherley, county Cambridge, 2 miles south-west of Cambridge, its post town. It is situated on the river Cam, or Granta, and the London and North-Western and Great Eastern lines pass in the vicinity. The Romans had a fortified station here, called by Antonine, Camboritum, and numerous foundations of buildings are met with between this village and the town of Cambridge. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture and brick-making. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1799. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £291, in the patronage of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge. The church is a handsome structure, built of clinch and rubble. It is dedicated to St. Andrew, and contains a marble font, Ancient brass, and several monuments. The register commences in 1539. The parochial endowments produce about £42 per annum. The Wesleyans have a place of worship, and there is a National school for boys and girls. The Provost and Fellows of King's College, Cambridge, are the lords of the manor."
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]