Open a form to report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Great Wilbraham

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Great Wilbraham

Primary tabs

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013

"GREAT WILBRAHAM, a parish in the hundred of Staine, county Cambridge, 7 miles south-east of Cambridge, and 1½ mile north-east of the Fulbourn station on the Cambridge and Newmarket railway. The village is situated about 2 miles south of the Cambridge and Newmarket road. The surface is nearly level in the western part of the parish, but rises towards the south The soil is light but fertile, resting upon a substratum of chalk and gravel. The manor-house, now the residence of E. Hicks, Esq., is called the Temple, having once belonged to the Knights Templars. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely, value £203. The church is dedicated to St. Nicholas. There is a small Baptist chapel, and a National school.

[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]


  • The Monumental Inscriptions in the graveyard of St. Nicholas are recorded in the Cambridge Records Office for the years 1720-1982 which are also available on microfiche from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search) There is also a private graveyard which also has Monumental Inscriptions for the years 1705-1920.





Church History

  • "The church of St. Nicholas is an ancient building of flint, principally in the Early English and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, transepts, south porch and an embattled western tower of Perpendicular date with pinnacles, and containing a clock and 5 bells the chancel retains a piscina and sedilia and a curious aumbry: the font, which dates from the year 1150, is Transition Norman: in the chancel are inscribed tablets to the Ward family from 1719: at the west end are some ancient tombstones; the church, with the exception of the nave and north transept, was restored in 1878-9, at a cost of £800, and the tower in 1882-3, at a cost of about £600: there are 300 sittings. The register dates from the year 1561."
  • "The church like that of Wendy in this county, was originally given to the monks of Ely, but they, for some consideration, made it over to the Knights Templars, who made a habitation here for some of their order: the estates were afterwards passed over to the Knights of St. John of Jerusalem. There is a small Baptist chapel here."
    [Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]

Church Records

  • Church of England
    • Great Wilbraham, St. Nicholas: Records of baptisms 1561-1987, marriages 1561-1618, 1631-48, 1668-1999, burials 1561-74, 1581-1651, 1661-1956, banns for 1754-1816, 1889-1976 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1857 can be found in the Cambridge University Library. Indexed transcripts exist in Cambridgeshire Archives for baptisms and burials 1561-1851, and marriages 1561-1837.


Ask for a calculation of the distance from Great Wilbraham to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.


Military History



  • Land Tax: records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1757-63, 1789-1837, 1881-93 and 1911-1948.