[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
"LITTLEPORT, a parish in the hundred of Ely, and Isle of Ely, county Cambridge, 5 miles north-east of Ely, its post town, and 13 south of Downham. It is situated on the river Ouse, and is a station on the Great Eastern line of railway. The parish, which is of large extent, includes the hamlets of Apshall and Old Bank, with several small places. The land is fenny, but productive. The village is on the road from Ely to Lynn, and a considerable traffic is carried on by the river in corn and coal. The impropriate tithes, belonging to Clare Hall, Cambridge, have been commuted for a rent-charge of £248, and the vicarial for £1,931; the impropriate glebe comprises 81 acres, and the vicarial 79 acres. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely, value £1,487, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. George, is an old edifice with a lofty embattled tower. The register commences in 1761. The parochial charities, chiefly arising from land, produce about £260 per annum. The Baptists, Independents, Lady Huntingdon's Connexion, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists, have each a chapel. There is a National school for boys and girls."
"APSHALL, (or Apeshall), a hamlet in the parish of Littleport in the hundred of the Isle of Ely, in the county of Cambridge, 3 miles north of Littleport railway station, and 5 from Ely, situated in a fenny part of the isle. The old parish church of Littleport is a fine specimen of early English architecture.
"BLACK HORSE DROVE, a hamlet in the parish of Littleport, county Cambridge, 4 miles north-east of Littleport."
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]