[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
"OUTWELL, a parish partly in the hundred of Wisbech, Isle of Ely, county Cambridge, and partly in that of Clackclose, county Norfolk, 6 miles south-east of Wisbech, its post town, and 6 east of the Downham railway station. The village, which is chiefly agricultural, is situated on the river Nen. There was formerly a Benedictine house at Molycourt, which was made a cell to Ely priory by Henry VI. The soil is of a loamy nature, on a subsoil of clay. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £114. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £417, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Clement, is an ancient brick structure with a square embattled tower containing six bells. The register dates from 1680. The parochial charities produce about £181 per annum, of which £18 goes to a school. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a place of worship. There is a National school for children of both sexes. Beaupré Hall, the ancient manor house, is an Elizabethan residence. C. W. Townley, Esq., is lord of the manor."
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]