[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
"SWAVESEY, (or Swasey), a parish in the hundred of Papworth, county Cambridge, 3 miles south-east of St. Ive, its post town, and 11; north-west of Cambridge. It is a station on the Great Eastern railway. The village, which is large, is situated on the river Ouse, near the Huntingdon and Cambridge road. It was formerly a market town, under a charter granted to the Zouch family in 1243, the site of whose ancient castle is about half a mile south-west of the church. A Black alien priory was founded here soon after the Conquest, as a cell to the abbey of SS. Sergius and Bachus, and that of St. Briocus at Angiers. It was afterwards given by Richard II. to St. Anne's Priory, at Coventry. Upon the enclosure of the parish by Act of Parliament in 1838, an allotment of 5 acres was made for the purpose of recreation. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely, value £428, in the patronage of Jesus College, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, anciently belonged to the alien priory. The interior contains a piscina, stone stalls, niches, and the grave of Lady Cutts. The registers date from 1576 for marriages, and from 1613 for deaths. Ockley, the Arabic scholar, once vicar, &c., died here in 1720. The parochial charities produce about £64 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes, which was erected in 1842. The Baptists and Unitarians have chapels. There is a Sunday-school, held at the National schoolhouse. The Hon. Mrs. Ryder is lady of the manor.
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]