"ALL SAINTS AND ST. JAMES ICKLINGHAM, a parish in the hundred of Lackford, county Suffolk, 8 miles N.W. of Bury St. Edmund's, and 4½ S.E. of Mildenhall, its post town. It formerly formed two distinct parishes, which are now united for ecclesiastical purposes. The village is situated on the river Lark, a branch of the Ouse. The soil is light and sandy, and there are some large rabbit-warrens in the neighbourhood. The parish is traversed by the old Roman road Icknield Street, and there is a Roman camp called Kentfield, which occupies about 25 acres. Many relics have been found, including a leaden cistern, urns, &c. Gun-flints were formerly made here, but since the introduction of percussion-caps the trade has entirely ceased. There is an agate powder and ornamental flint manufactory, which affords employment to many of the inhabitants. The tithes of All Saints have been commuted for a rent-charge of £320 2s., and those of St. James for £239 18s. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £504. There are two churches in the parish, situated about half a mile from each other. They are both ancient edifices, and are dedicated to St. James and All Saints respectively. In the former are several monuments to the family of Gwilt, lords of the manor; and in the floor of the chancel is some tesselated pavement found in the ruins of a Roman villa, supposed by some antiquaries to be that of Faustina. There is a chapel for Dissenters and a National school for both sexes. The charities produce about £45 per annum, arising from land given for the poor.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)