"BATTISFORD, a parish in the hundred of Bosmere and Claydon, in the county of Suffolk, 2½ miles to the N.W. of Needham-Market railway station, and 3 from Stowmarket. A preceptory of the Knights Templars was founded here in the reign of Henry II., which was valued at the Dissolution at £53 10s., and was granted to Sir R. Gresham. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich, of the value of £400, in the patronage of the Rev. E. Paske, vicar. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a small Gothic structure, without a tower or bells. The register commences from the year 1711. Near the village is Battisford Hall, the beautiful residence of E. Lingwood, Esq."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)