"CODDENHAM, a parish in the hundred of Bosmere in the county of Suffolk, 2½ miles S.E. of Needham Market station, and 6 S.W. of Debenham. In the village is a savings-bank, and part of the parish is in common. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Norwich, value with the curacy of Crowfield annexed, £1,006, in the patronage of the Rev. Robert Long. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a fine specimen of Gothic architecture, with a tower containing a peal of eight bells. The interior is rich in monuments, and there is a stained-glass window of considerable merit. The charities amount to £80 per annum. The Independents have a chapel. There is a free school for the education of boys and girls, with an endowment of £80 per annum, bequeathed by Lady Gardeman. Sir F. F. Middleton, Bart., is lord of the manor, who resides at Shrubland Hall, a modern residence in the midst of a fine grove of chestnuts. A fair is held on the 2nd October."
"CROWFIELD, a parochial chapelry, connected with the parish of Coddenham, in the hundred of Bosmere in the county of Suffolk, 5½ miles N.E. of Needham Market, and 3½ S.W. of Debenham. The living is a curacy in the diocese of Norwich, annexed to the vicarage* of Coddenham, in the patronage of the Rev. Robert Longe. The chapel-of-ease, dedicated to All Saints, is a small structure. The Baptists have a chapel. Sir W. F. F. Middleton, Bart., is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)