"DENHAM St Mary, a parish in the hundred of Risbridge, in the county of Suffolk, 6 miles S.W. of Bury St. Edmund's, and 7 S.E. of Newmarket. Previous to the erection of the church by Sir Edward Lewkenor, this place was extra-parochial. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Ely, value £100, in the patronage of S. Farmer, Esq., who is lord of the manor. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a small structure, and contains monuments to the Lewkenor family. The charities amount to £16 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes. Denham Hall, the ancient seat of the Lewkenor family, and subsequently that of Viscount Townshend, is now a farmhouse. In the vicinity are ancient earthworks, known as Denham Castle."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)