"HEMINGSTONE, a parish in the hundred of Bosmere, county Suffolk, 6½ miles N. of Ipswich, its post town, and 3 N. of the Claydon railway station. It is a small agricultural parish, formerly held by the singular tenure of performing before "our lord the king, one saltus, one sufflatus, and one bumbulus" every Christmas Day. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £369 6s. 5d. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £381. The church, dedicated to St. Gregory, is an ancient structure. Hemingstone Hall is the principal residence, a brick-built mansion in the Elizabethan style of architecture, erected in 1558."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)