"HERRINGSWELL, a parish in the hundred of Lackford, county Suffolk, 3½ miles S. of Mildenhall, its post town, and 2 E. of the Kennet railway station, on the Cambridge, Newmarket, and Bury St. Edmund's branch of the Great Eastern railway. It is a small village, situated in the vale of a small rivulet, a branch of the river Lack. There are several rabbit warrens in the neighbourhood. The tithes were commuted for land under an Enclosure Act in 1807. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £200. The church, dedicated to St. Ethelbert, is an ancient thatched structure, with a tower containing three bells. The register dates from 1748. Herringswell House is the principal residence, situated in the midst of fir-trees."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)