"HINTLESHAM, a parish in the hundred of Samford, county Suffolk, 4 miles E. of Hadleigh, and 5½ W. of Ipswich. It is situated on a tributary of the river Orwell. The surface is level, and the soil a mixed loam. Here is a meet for the Essex and Suffolk hounds. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £582. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £477. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, has a brass of the 14th century, and tombs of the Timperleys, who formerly resided at the Hall, subsequently the seat of the Lloyds and Anstruthers. The parochial charities produce £20 per annum, including a small school endowment."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)