"WILFORD, a hundred in the SE of Suffolk; containing 17 parishes. Acres, 33,012. Pop. in 1851, 8,469; in 1861, 8,087. Houses, 1,744."
(From John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72).)
In 1836, White's Description of the Poor Law Unions and Registration Districts shows this Hundred to be served by the Registration Districts of Plomesgate and Woodbridge.
PLOMESGATE RD in 1836 - 40 parishes, the 23 in Plomesgate Hundred, Wickham Market in Wilford Hundred and 16 of the 18 in Loes Hundred. The two exceptions of the latter being Kenton and Woodbridge which are in Woodbridge Union. Plomesgate Union is divided into 6 sub-districts :- Earl Soham, Saxmundham, Aldeburgh,Orford,Wickham Market,and Framlingham.
WOODBRIDGE RD in 1836 - 46 parishes comprising the 28 of Colneis and Carlford Hundreds, Woodbridge and Charlsfield in Loes Hundred and 16 of the 17 parishes in Wilford Hundred, the exception being Wickham Market which is in Plomesgate Union. Woodbridge Union is divided into 4 sub-districts :- Woodbridge & Wilford Town, Woodbridge Outer, Carlford and Colneis.
See also Suffolk Registration Districts.
See Vision of Britain for a description of Wilford through time.
The Workhouse site has an interesting description of Loes & Wilford Workhouse.
The Workhouse site also has an interesting description of Colneis and Carlford Workhouse which is served by the Woodbridge Union.