"LAWSHALL, a parish in the hundred of Babergh, county Suffolk, 6½ miles S.E. of Bury St. Edmund's, its post town, and 9½ N. of Sudbury. In this parish is an extensive horse-hair manufactory, employing a large number of the inhabitants. The land is partly in common. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £700. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £428. The church, dedicated to All Saints, has recently been thoroughly restored and beautified, at an expense of £6,000. It has some stained-glass windows. The parochial charities produce about £22 per annum. There are National and Sunday schools, built in 1826, at the expense of a lady. There is a place of worship for Baptists. Near the source of the river Bret are remains of a Roman station, supposed to have been Carnbretoniumn."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)