"NEWBOURN, a parish in the hundred of Carlford, county Suffolk, 5 miles S. of Woodbridge, its post town, and 7 from Ipswich. The parish, which is of small extent, is situated near the river Deben, and is wholly agricultural. The soil is sandy and gravelly, with a subsoil of sand and crag. Coprolites are found in large numbers among the marine deposits. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich, value £220. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient rubble structure, with an embattled flint tower containing one bell. The interior of the church has a font of great antiquity. The register dates from 1561. The church has recently been thoroughly restored. There is a Sunday-school held at the church."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)