"OAKLEY or OAKLEY MAGNA, a par. in the hund. of Hartismere, co. Suffolk, 3 miles N.E. of Eye, 2 S.E. of Scole, its post town, and 2½ N.W of Diss railway station. The village, which is of small extent, is situated in a valley, and is wholly agricultural. It is bounded on the N. by the river Waveney, which separates it it from the county of Norfolk. The living is a rect. annexed to that of Brome, in the dioc, of Norwich. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, has a square tower and south porch. It is situated about a quarter of a mile from the village. The register dates from 1538. The charities produce about £22 per annum, realised from town lands, and which is expended on the church.Oakley House is the principal residence. Sir E. C. Kerrison, Bart., is lord of the manor and chief landowner."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)