"SOMERLEYTON, a parish in the hundred of Mutford, county Suffolk, 5½ miles N.W. of Lowestoft, its post town, and 8 S. of Yarmouth. It is a station on the Great Eastern railway. The village is situated on the river Waveney. In the vicinity are extensive brick, tile, and earthenware works. A portion of the inhabitants are engaged in the fisheries. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £386. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has a square pinnacled tower containing five bells. It was rebuilt in 1854. The interior of the church, contains an effigy of a knight, on which is an inscription. The register dates from 1558. The parochial charities produce about £36 per annum, realised from poors' allotment. There is an endowed village school and a British school for both sexes. The Baptists have a place of worship, built by Sir S. M. Peto, Bart., as was also the British school. The principal residence is Somerleyton Hall, which has been entirely reconstructed by Sir S. Morton Peto, Bart., who is lord of the manor and sole landowner"
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)