"ALVESTON, (or Aulston), a parish in the Snitterfield division of the hundred of Barlichway, in the county of Warwick, 2 miles to the N.E. of Stratford. It lies in a pleasant country on the river Avon, at the foot of the Welcombe hills. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester, value £220, in the patronage of the rector of Hampton-Lucy. The church, which is dedicated to St. James, contains monuments of the Lucys. The parish charities amount to £46. Alveston House is the principal residence.
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]