"ARLEY, a parish in the Kirby division of the hundred of Knightlow, in the county of Warwick, 5 miles to the S.W. of Nuneaton. It is situated on the small river Bourne, and contains the village of Sloley Hill. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Worcester, value £351, in the patronage of the Rev. R. R. Vaughton. The church is dedicated to St. Wilfrid. There is a free school, with an endowment of £15 a-year, and other charities amounting to £21 a-year."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]