"ASTLEY, a parish in the hundred of Knightlow, in the county of Warwick, 4 miles to the S.W. of Nuneaton, its post town. The village is situated on a hill in a pleasant and wooded district. In the reign of King John, the manor belonged to the Astleys, from whom it came, in the Henry V., to the Greys of Ruthin. It is now held by the Newdegates, who came into possession of it in the 18th century. A castle was erected here at a very early period, part of the walls of which still remain. It was once the abode of Henry Grey, Marquis of Dorset. The present structure is probably of the age of Queen Mary."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]