"ASTON, a parish in the Birmingham division of the hundred of Hemlingford, in the county of Warwick, 2 miles to the N. of Birmingham. A large part of the parish lies within the borough of Birmingham. It is situated in the valley of the river Tame, across which the London and North Western railway is carried on a handsome viaduct of ten arches. There is a station at Aston. The Birmingham and Farsley canal also runs along the valley. The parish comprises the following chapelries: Ashted, Castle Bromwich, Bordesley, Deritend, Duddeston, Erdington, Water Orton, and Ward End, and the hamlets of Saltley and Witten."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]