"ATHERSTONE-ON-STOUR, a parish in the hundred of Kington, in the county of Warwick, 3 miles to the S. of Stratford-on-Avon. It is in a pleasant district, on the borders of Gloucestershire. The river Stour and the tram railway between Stratford and Moreton pass through it. Ailstow is a village comprised in this parish. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Worcester, of the value of £288, in the patronage of the Rev. Dr. T. Cox. This village was the birthplace of Dr. Thomas, the continuator of the "Antiquities of the County of Warwick", by William Dugdale. The principal seat is Alscot Park."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]