"AUSTREY, a parish in the hundred of Hemlingford, in the county of Warwick, 6 miles to the E. of Tamworth, its post town. It lies on the borders of Leicestershire. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester, of the value of £162, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church is dedicated to St. Nicholas, and was repaired in 1845. The Baptists have a chapel here. There is an endowed school, with an income of £20 per annum, and some other charities of the yearly value of £27."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]