"BALSALL, (or Balsall Temple), a chapelry in the parish of Hampton-in-Arden, hundred of Hemlingford, in the county of Warwick, 8 miles to the S.W. of Coventry. Birmingham is its post town. The manor belonged in the reign of Stephen to Roger de Mowbray, and was given by him to the Knights Templars, who made it a preceptory of their order. It passed subsequently to the Knights Hospitallers, and in 1565 to Dudley, Earl of Leicester."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]