"BARTON-ON-THE-HEATH, a parish in the Brailes division of the hundred of Kington, in the county of Warwick, 5 miles to the S. of Shipston-on-Stour. Moreton-in-the-Marsh is its post town. It is situated at the south extremity of the county, on the south side of the river Stour, and near the point of junction of the four shires of Warwick, Worcester, Gloucester, and Oxford. The spot is marked by a massive stone, called the "Fourshire Stone"."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]