"BINTON, a parish in the Stratford division of the hundred of Barlichway, in the county of Warwick, 4 miles to the W. of Stratford-on-Avon, its post town. It is situated on the banks of the river Avon, over which is a bridge. In the Saxon times this parish formed part of the domains of the abbey of Evesham, and in Domesday Survey it is called Benintone. The manufacture of needles and fish-hooks is carried on here, and there are several extensive quarries of limestone for paving. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Worcester, value £140, in the patronage of the Marquis of Hertford. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. There is a National school, and the charitable endowments amount to £4 a year."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]