"BRINKLOW, a parish and large village in the Kirby division of the hundred of Knightlow, in the county of Warwick, 5 miles to the N.W. of Rugby, and 7 E. of Coventry. It is situated near the Trent Valley line of the London and North-Western railway, which has a station at Stretton, about three-quarters of a mile from the village. It was the site of a castle, the seat of the Mowbrays, Stutevilles, and Segraves, who held the manor, but no traces of the castle now remain. The privilege of a weekly market was granted by King John."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]