, a parish in the Snitterfield division of the hundred of Barlichway, in the county of Warwick, 1 mile to the W. of Warwick, its post town. It includes the hamlets of Hampton-on-the-Hill, Littleworth, and Lower Norton, and is crossed by the Oxford and Birmingham section of the Great Western railway, and the Warwick and Birmingham canal. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Worcester, of the value of £476, in the patronage of W. E. Wood, Esq.
The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is an unpretending building, with square tower and tiled roof, but contains some beautiful stained-glass windows and several monuments of the Dormer family. At the hamlet of Hampton is a Roman Catholic chapel and schools. There is a free school, endowed in 1701 by J. Marston, with an income of £50 per annum. The other charitable endowments for the poor produce about £45 a year. The principal residence is Grove Park, the seat of Lord Dormer, who is lord of the manor."
"HAMPTON-ON-THE-HILL, a hamlet in the parish of Budbrooke, county Warwick, 2 miles W. of Warwick. It is a meet for the Warwickshire hounds."
"LITTLEWORTH, a hamlet in the parish of Budbrooke, county Warwick, 1 mile N.W. of Warwick. It is situated on the Birmingham canal."
"LOWER NORTON, (or Curlieu), a hamlet in the parish of Budbrooke, hundred of Barlichway, county Warwick, 1½ mile N.W. of Warwick. It is situated near the Birmingham canal.
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]