"BURMINGTON, a parish in the Brailes division of the hundred of Kington, in the county of Warwick, 2 miles to the S-E. of Shipston-on-Stour, its post town. It lies on the banks of the river Stour. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Worcester, value £220, in the patronage of the Warden and Fellows of Merton College, Oxford, and is at present held conjointly with the vicarage of Wolford. The church, rebuilt in 1693, is dedicated to St. Nicholas. A free school has recently been built by John Staunton, Esq., lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]