"CHILVERS COTON, a parish in the Atherstone division of the hundred of Hemlingford, in the county of Warwick. It is a station on the North-Western railway and Coventry canal, 8 miles from Coventry, and 1 from Nuneaton. The inhabitants are principally engaged in ribbon weaving and the other manufactures of Coventry and Nuneaton. In the vicinity are several extensive collieries. It contains the hamlet of Griff and Arbury Park, the old seat of the Newdegates."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]