"CHURCH LAWFORD, a parish in the hundred of Knightlow, in the county of Warwick, 3½ miles from the Rugby railway station. It is pleasantly situated on the river Avon. Through this parish, in a deep cutting, from which it is stated 500,000 square yards of earth were taken, runs the London and North-Western line. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester, value with the vicarage of King's Newnham annexed, £196. The parish church, dedicated to St. Peter, possesses a register commencing 1575. There is a school, built in 1849, supported by the Duke of Buccleuch, who is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]