"COMPTON VERNEY, (or Compton Murdoch), an extra-parochial place in the hundred of Kington, in the county of Warwick, 1 mile N.W. of Kington. It is situated on the ancient Fosse Way. This place formerly belonged to the Murdoch family, but now to the Verneys. Compton House, the seat of Lord Willoughby de Broke, is a meet for the Warwick hounds.
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]