"COMPTON WYNIATES, (or Compton-in-the-hole), a parish in the hundred of Kington, in the county of Warwick, 5½ miles E. of Shipston-on-Stour. Kineton is its post town. The Marquis of Northampton takes the title of earl from this place, where his ancestors resided previous to the Conquest. The living is a rectory annexed to the vicarage* of Tysoe, in the diocese of Worcester, in the patronage of the Marquis of Northampton, who is lord of the manor. The church, a neat stone structure in the perpendicular style, was rebuilt on the site of one destroyed by the parliamentarians. Compton House, the seat of the Comptons, was constructed of the ruins of Fulbrooke Castle in the reign of Henry VIII.
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]