"CORLEY, a parish in the Atherstone division of the hundred of Hemlingford, in the county of Warwick, 4½ miles N.W. of Coventry. It is called Cornelie in Domesday Book, and was possessed in Henry III.'s reign by Henry de Hastings, Lord of Fillongley. From its commanding position, it was selected as one of the principal stations for the grand Trigonometrical Survey. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester, value £400, in the patronage of A. F. Gregory, Esq. There are National schools for both sexes. From a hill in this parish 35 churches are visible."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]