"COUGHTON, a parish in the Alcester division of the hundred of Barlichway, in the county of Warwick, 2 miles N. of Alcester, and 18 from Birmingham. It is situated on the river Arrow, and contains the hamlet of Sambourne. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Worcester, value £161, in the patronage of Sir R. G. Throckmorton, Bart. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is in the early English style of architecture, and contains monuments to the Throckmortons. The charities amount to £34 per annum. There are some almshouses, founded by the Throckmortons. The Roman Catholics have a chapel. Coughton Court, the seat of Sir R. G. Throckmorten, Bart., was built in the reign of Henry VIII."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]