"COVENTRY, comprises the parishes of Holy Trinity and St. Michael, it is a manufacturing town, municipal and parliamentary borough, in the hundred of Knightlow, in the county of Warwick, situated in 52° 24' N. hat. and 1° 30' W. long. It formed until recently a city and county of itself, but the see is now incorporated in the diocese of Worcester, of which it forms an archdeaconry; and the county of the city is incorporated in the county of Warwickshire, to which previously it only nominally belonged, having exercised a separate jurisdiction from 1451 till 1842, when an Act of Parliament was passed for that purpose. In the following year an Order in Council was issued dividing Warwickshire into the two divisions of Warwick and Coventry."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]