, a parish in the Rugby division of the hundred of Knightlow, in the county of Warwick, 4 miles S. of Rugby. It is situated on high ground near Dunsmoor, commanding an extensive view. It contains the hamlets of Cawston, Thurlaston, and Toft. Nearly the whole of the parish is in the possession of the Duke of Buccleuch. It is a polling-place for the county, and a meet for the North Warwickshire hounds. The village contains some good houses and several inns. At its northern end is an obelisk, where formerly stood a stone cross.
The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Worcester, value £320, in the patronage of the Bishop of Lichfield. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient structure, with square tower and Norman porch. It contains some curious monuments, and anciently belonged to Pipewell Abbey. There are six schools which were founded and endowed in 1707 by Francis Boughton, who also left funds for apprenticing children. Other charities, including endowed almshouses, amount to about £145 per annum. There are nine fairs held in the course of the year."
"CAWSTON, a hamlet in the parish of Dunchurch, county of Warwick, 2 miles S.W. of Rugby. It is a meet for the North Warwick hounds. The chief residence is Cawston House, the seat of Lord Scott."
"THURLASTON, a township in the parish of Dunchurch, Rugby division of Knightlow hundred, county Warwick, 3 miles S.W. of Rugby, and 1 mile W. of Dunchurch, on Dunsmoor Heath."
"TOFT, a hamlet in the parish of Dunchurch, county Warwick, 3 miles S.W. of Rugby, and half a mile S.W. of Dunchurch, on Dunsmore Heath."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]