"EDGBASTON, a parish and suburb of Birmingham, in hundred of Hemlingford, county of Warwick, distant from Birmingham by 1 mile to the S.W. It is a distinct parish, but within the parliamentary borough. Lord Calthorpe is the principal landowner; and on his estate (which is let on building leases for villas) no manufactories or shops are allowed to be erected. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Worcester, value £542. There are three churches - the ancient parish church, which was considerably enlarged and beautified in 1857; and the two district churches of St. George's and St. James's."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]