"EXHALL NEAR ALCESTER, a parish in the Stratford division of the hundred of Barlichway, county Warwick, 2 miles S.E. of Alcester, its post town. It includes the hamlets of Little Britain and Grafton, and is the "Dudging Exhall" of Shakspeare. The land is chiefly arable, and the soil a stiff marly loam, with occasional mixtures of sand and clay. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under the Enclosure Act of 1767. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Lichfield, value with the curacy of Wexford annexed, £409, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church is a plain edifice dedicated to St. Giles. The charities produce about £20 per annum, £7 of which are for school purposes."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]