"EXHALL NEAR COVENTRY, a parish in the liberty of Coventry, county Warwick, 4 miles N. of Baginton, and the same distance N. by E. from Coventry, its post town. It is situated on the road to Leicester, in the vicinity of the Coventry canal. A small stream called Beach brook passes through the parish. The hamlet of Newland is included within its limits. The people are mostly* employed in the manufacture of ribbons. There are several collieries and a mine of ironstone: building stone is also quarried. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Worcester, value £143. The church is an ancient structure dedicated to St. Giles. There is a place of worship for Primitive Methodists, also an endowed charity school for boys and girls. The tithes were commuted for land under an Enclosure Act in 1761."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]