, a parish in the liberty of the city of Coventry, county Warwick, 2½ miles N.E. of Coventry, and 97 from London. It is a station on the Coventry and Nuneaton branch of the London and North-Western railway. Previous to the dissolution of religious houses the Prior of Coventry was lord of the manor. A large portion of the lands were the patrimony of the Lady Godiva. The village, which forms an extensive suburb of Coventry, extends along the Leicester road. Silk and ribbon weaving is extensively carried on, also the manufacture of fringes, while a large number of the inhabitants are employed in the coal-pits, iron foundries, and brickfields.
The Coventry and Oxford canal passes through the parish. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Worcester, value £352, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church is a neat structure, dedicated to St. Lawrence. It was enlarged in 1816 by the addition of a S. aisle, and has a very old font. There is also the district church of St. Paul, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value £180, in the gift of the vicar. The parish register commences in 1564. The Baptists, Independents, Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel, and there are two National' schools for both sexes, also one for infants. Colonel Northey is lord of the manor. The Poor-law Union of Foleshill comprises 11 parishes."
"LONGFORD, a hamlet in the borough of Coventry, and hundred of Knightlow, county Warwick, 3 miles N. by E. of Coventry. It is a station on the Coventry and Nuneaton branch of the London and North-Western railway."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]