"GRENDON, a parish in the Tamworth division of the hundred of Hemlingford, county Warwick, 3 miles N.W. of Atherstone, its post town and nearest railway station on the London and North-Western line. It is situated on the river Anker, and includes the hamlet of Whittington. The Coventry canal and Trent Valley railway pass through the immediate neighbourhood. The collieries give employment to many of the people. The meadows are luxuriantly fertile, but subject to occasional inundation."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]