"HAMPTON-IN-ARDEN, a parish in the Solihull division of the hundred of Hemlingford, county Warwick, 5 miles S. of Coleshill, and 9 S.E. of Birmingham. At Hampton Junction are stations of the London and North-Western and Midland Junction railways. Solihull is its post town. The parish, which is large, is situated on the western bank of the river Blythe, and near the Birmingham canal. It contains the township of Hampton, and the villages of Knowle, Nuthurst, and Kinwalsey. The village, which is built on a slight elevation, consists of several streets, and was formerly a market town under a charter granted by Henry III."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]